In recent years, Zimbabwe has faced a decline in tourism due to its political situation. However, the country boasts a wide range of diverse landscapes and experiences, with the iconic Victoria Falls being a standout attraction.
For tourists following pre-arranged itineraries, Zimbabwe offers ease and convenience, particularly when visiting Victoria Falls. It's advisable to consider including Victoria Falls at the start or end of any itinerary that includes destinations like Chobe or the Okavango Delta.
Great Zimbabwe, a medieval city, comprises three parts, with the Great Enclosure believed to have been a royal residence.
Hwange National Park, Zimbabwe's largest game reserve, is home to one of the densest concentrations of wildlife in Africa. Situated on the easternmost edge of the Kalahari Desert, it features sandy soils and extensive broad-leafed woodland, making it a haven for wildlife.
Lake Kariba is a diverse habitat that hosts a wide range of mammals and birds, including leopard, lion, hyena, and cheetah. It's a paradise for walkers and nature enthusiasts.
The Eastern Highlands, located near the Mozambican border, is a mountainous region characterized by its natural beauty, including rolling hills, lush forests, rugged peaks, deep gorges, cascading waterfalls, rivers, and lakes. It offers a different perspective of Zimbabwe compared to what most visitors typically associate with the country.
Victoria Falls, bordering Zambia and Zimbabwe, is famously known as the "smoke that thunders." It's a breathtaking sight that you should definitely not miss. You can explore the rainforest pathways leading to various viewpoints, such as Devils Cataract, Cataract Island, Rainbow Falls, Eastern Cataract, Danger Point, and Boiling Pot.
When to go / useful information
When to go
For a safari in Zimbabwe, the best time for game viewing is during the dry season, which typically spans from July to October. Starting in November, the wet season begins, accompanied by increased heat. However, Zimbabwe's climate remains relatively moderate and never reaches extreme conditions on either side of the wet and dry seasons. Victoria Falls offers different experiences depending on the season. During the low-water months of November and December, you can better appreciate the actual size of the gorges. In contrast, during the high-water months of March and April, the falls are a magnificent sight, although the spray can sometimes obstruct the view. Regardless of the season, we highly recommend taking the "Flight of the Angels" helicopter tour for breathtaking aerial views of the falls.
Currency The US dollar is the highly recommended currency to use in Zimbabwe. You are strongly recommended to take US dollars cash with you for your visit, as credit cards and travellers’ cheques are not widely accepted.
Language The official language of Zimbabwe is English, though the main national languages are Ndebele and Shona.
What makes it special: Zimbabwe stands out as one of the most stunning countries in terms of its diverse landscapes, scenery, and rich cultural heritage. While it has faced political challenges over the past decade, there are signs of improvement, and Zimbabwe's tourism industry is showing signs of recovery. Tour operators are increasing their departures and schedules for trips, and safari lodges are gradually opening up. Despite past issues, Zimbabwe continues to captivate travelers with its natural beauty and cultural richness.
Weather: When planning a safari in Zimbabwe, it's advisable to consider the dry season, which is the best time for game viewing and typically occurs from July through October. The wet season starts in November, bringing warmer weather, but the climate remains relatively moderate without extreme conditions on either side of the seasons. This information can help you choose the ideal time for your safari adventure in Zimbabwe.
Social customs: Zimbabwe, originally a republic, has preserved much of its colonial "English" heritage. While the majority of the population is made up of native Ndebele and Shona groups, European cultures and values have had a significant influence on both urban and rural areas. Economically, there is a stark contrast between the two cultures, with approximately 70 percent of the population residing in rural areas, while Harare and Bulawayo are the primary urban centers, housing most of the remaining 30 percent. The largest ethnic group is the Shona, accounting for nearly 80 percent of the population, followed by the Ndebele, making up around 18 percent. This diverse cultural landscape adds depth and richness to Zimbabwe's social tapestry.